- See more at: http://www.spiceupyourblog.com/2012/03/pinterest-pin-it-button-blogger.html#sthash.lRpf53RB.dpuf

Thursday, February 28, 2013

One Woman's Junk is just a Crafter's Treasure.... for $25!!!


So a few years ago in 2010, I hijacked some unused furniture that belonged to my Mom that my Dad no longer used.  Unfortunately,  my brother's wild labs chewed up some corners and let the furniture get water damage on top!  None the less, I was so happy he allowed me to take it before he threw it out!  It meant a lot to me to be able to have it.  I will never forget how happy my Mom was to get the furniture years before.  It was her first matching set she ever had in her life and now I had my first matching set also!  

Here are some pictures of  the set..... unfortunately I do not have many before pictures.

After many saturdays, tons of sanding, painting, distressing, I had my gorgeous redone bedroom suite!
(sorry for the awful cell phone pics!)

The huge dresser!  It has a matching mirror.  Of course my dogchild Winston is in the picture!

So I said that to say this........My husband bought this huge 60 inch tv about 2 years ago, and for 2 years this huge tv has been sitting on an antique coffee table!! The bonus little side table (from his ex-girlfriend) holds our blu ray, cable box, and xbox! ugh!!  So I shopped around and the only decent tv stand that was big enough to hold this bad boy that I liked was right around $1100!  Which I didn't have and didn't feel comfortable spending that kind of money on a tv stand... ummm no.... So for two years I sat like a bachelor and looked at this mess!

Scary isn't it???


One day, while on Pinterest, I noticed several pins on how to change an old dresser into a media cabinet.  This beautiful yellow provincial dresser below on, The Bungalow Blog, caught my eye, and right then and there I knew what I must do!  
photo credit: www.thebungalowblog.com

My next decision was....what color should I paint it? Yellow really isn't my color.  My absolute favorite color is purple, and since my brand new moraccan rug from www.rugsusa.com is purple, I thought I would spare my poor hubby the allover purple experience.  Even though he said I could pick whatever I wanted.  I had been so obsessed with turquoise since our wedding, so that made my decision very  easy.  I  saw tons of pins on how to glaze furniture to give an antique finish and I love the look of the bright turquoise.  So turquoise with a dark glaze it is!  
I saw this beautiful turquoise piece here
photo credit: www.faceliftfurniture.com

My favorite DIY glaze how to is here on All Things Thrifty, which is an adorable blog!!


So here she is in all her fabulous glory!  She is solid wood and $25!  I pick her up tomorrow! This is my first time ever to purchase something on Craig's List.  Since I am an avid watcher of the  ID (Investigation Discovery) channel, I have irrational fears of strangers and serial killers lol.. so Brandon will be with me while I pick up this dresser from this supposedly "old lady".



Stay tuned for my post on how my DIY Media Center turns out....Wish me luck with the "old lady"!







3 comments:

  1. I love your new blog! I have the same fear because of the ID channel too! Haha! I can't wait to see your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww thanks Leah! you are so sweet!! I am totally obsessed with that channel!! I should have a new post soon! Don't forget to subscribe!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a great find, and on Craig's list too! Awesome
    Would love to see how it turns out :)

    ReplyDelete