- See more at: http://www.spiceupyourblog.com/2012/03/pinterest-pin-it-button-blogger.html#sthash.lRpf53RB.dpuf

Monday, February 18, 2013

What's for Dinner....Healthy Turkey Sausage with Veggies and Whole Grain Pasta


So I have been on a health kick lately.  I have been working out 3-5 days per week, eating out less, cooking more, and really watching what exactly I put in my mouth.  My husband's new favorite healthy meal that I make is a pasta dish that I make with spicy turkey sausage, veggies, no sugar added pasta sauce, and whole grain pasta.  Sometimes I change it up a bit and ex the pasta sauce and pasta and use whole grain brown rice instead and add carrots!  It is so delicious, satisfying, and has all healthy ingredients!

I love my cobalt blue kitchen canisters!  I am obsessed!  I just picked up the starry polish pottery one from an antique mall for $10!
First Gather your ingredients.  This cost about $12 and we will have about 6 servings.
  • 1 lb. turkey sausage or ground turkey  (I like the lean Jenni-O brand)
  • 1bell pepper (any color)
  • 1 squash
  • 1 zucchini
  • 10 ounces of mushrooms
  • small onion
  • garlic cloves
  • Jar of regular pasta sauce (I like the no added sugar kind)
  • Box of whole grain pasta (I like the rotini, but ziti or angel hair will taste great also)

Start cutting up your veggies.  I would start by chopping the onions and garlic first and put them in a pan with your sausage.  While your sausage and diced onions/garlic are cooking on medium heat, finish cutting up your veggies.  Set them aside in a bowl until the sausage is browned.  Season your sausage to your liking.  I normally do not add any seasoning since the sausage normally has seasoning and enough flavor.  However if you are using ground turkey you may want to add maybe some salt and pepper.

I got the colorful spoon rest from Puerto Morelos on our honeymoon!
After the sausage is cooked all the way through, drain any fat and properly dispose.  Pour the chopped veggies over the meat and fold in.  I reccommend covering the pan with the lid, this will help the veggies cook faster.  While the veggies are cooking boil your water for your pasta.  Remember to use cold water, add a little salt, and cover with a lid, this will make the water boil a lot faster.  (don't forget to stir the meat and veggie mixture!) Pour the uncooked pasta in the boiling water and cook for about about 10 minutes or until al dente  (read instructions on back if a different brand).

I love these little boots!  So cute!  This mixture (without the sauce) would be so good over some wild rice! 
When the veggies have softened some and cooked all the way through (approximately 7 minutes on med-low heat) add the sauce and cook covered.  Stir constantly since the sauce may boil up. When it starts bubbling turn the heat to low.  At this time the pasta should be done.  Carefully strain the noodles over the sink using a colander.  Pour or spray cold water over the noodles to stop them from continuing to cook.  I normally dump the pasta back into the pot (after straining all water) it was cooked in and add about a tablespoon of olive oil  and stir to help keep the noodles from sticking to each other.  

So here it is.  Our lovely dinner in cobalt blue fleur de lis dishes with some of my Valentine's Day flowers in my cobalt blue vase from Hobby Lobby! 

I like to serve our meals in bowls.  I read somewhere that if you serve your meals in bowls it helps you eat better portions because it appears to be more. 

Less than 400 calories and so delicious!!!



1 comment:

  1. Looks so yummy! I made something like this but yours looks so much better. Lol!

    ReplyDelete